Within the four phases of Plan, Do, Check and Act there are 7 steps. This week we take a look at step number 2.
During Step 2 be sure to ask and understand:
- What is the scope of the problem or opportunity?
- What is current happening? How do you know?
- What do the stakeholders think and want?
- What data/information do you need to tell you how the process is currently going? How will you collect it?
There are lots of tools you can use to work your way through the first step e.g.
- Questioning techniques
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Process mapping
- Value stream mapping
- Data collection methods
- Critical examination
Some key things to remember here are:
- Make sure you understand what is currently happening (warts and all)
- Involve different stakeholders to get an accurate picture
- Gather data to understand where the issues are
Next week Roxanne will share some insights into Step 3 – Understand and Analyse Causes of Issues